Sr. Immaculata Haar 2013

Sr. Immaculata Haar 2013

Sister Immaculata Haar, 1924-2013

Born October 24, 1924 in New Orleans, LouisianaEntered St. Scholastica Priory, Covington, Louisiana
August 26, 1939
Received habit, August 20, 1940
First Profession, February 10, 1942
Transferred vows to St. Walburg Monastery, July 11, 1991
Died December 31, 2013

          Sister Immaculata Haar was born to Joseph W. and Catherine (Miller) Haar on October 24, 1924 in New Orleans, LA and was given the name Rose Elizabeth at her baptism. Rose was the second youngest of nine siblings, all of whom are deceased. The oldest girl, Bernadette, had become Sister Bernardine at St. Scholastica Priory in Covington, LA. Rose entered St. Scholastica’s on August 26, 1939. The following year she became a novice with a new name, Sr. Immaculata.  She made first and perpetual professions in 1942 and 1945; silver, golden and diamond jubilees followed in 1967, 1992 and 2002. The latter two were celebrated at St. Walburg Monastery to which Sr. Immaculata and Sr. Bernardine had transferred at the dissolution of St. Scholastica Priory in 1988.

           Sr. Immaculata’s education extended over a number of years. Attendance at Loyola University in New Orleans and Dominican College and Holy Cross in Algiers eventually gained her a degree in music and certification in elementary ed. While in Covington, LA, Sr. Immaculata ministered in many capacities in the New Orleans area—as elementary teacher and principal, librarian, music teacher and organist for 40 years despite a growing deficiency in hearing. The latter impediment necessitated a change of occupation and from 1978-1988 Sr. Immaculata worked as bookkeeper in a Covington law firm. With her transfer to St. Walburg Monastery in 1988 she plied these skills in the business office at Madonna Manor where she aided the business manager until her retirement in 2008.

          When Sr. Immaculata moved to Kentucky she brought with her the devotion of many friends, evidenced by the many letters and mementos in her mail bin. Nieces, nephews and friends were welcome visitors. Sr. Immaculata was delighted when shrimp or pralines or a Mardi Gras king cake appeared at the table.

          Eventually weakness necessitated Sr. Immaculata’s move to the infirmary. Her blood condition required more frequent medical attention but visitors were always greeted with a welcoming smile.

          Sr. Immaculata died peacefully on the last day of the old year. She is survived by nieces and nephews, devoted friends and this Benedictine community.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.