Sister Mildred Obermeier, 1899-1983
Born March 1, 1899, Bavaria, Germany
Entered St. Walburg Monastery, July 15, 1916
First Profession April 1, 1918
Died April 26, 1983
Sr. Mildred Obermeier was born to John and Maria Schutz Obermeier and given the name Frances at her baptism. Frances was one of eight children, three of whom became members of St. Walburg Monastery. Frances emigrated to the United States on November 1, 1910 and entered St. Walburg Monastery on July 15, 1916. She received the habit and her new name on March 21, 1917. Sr. Mildred made first profession on April 1, 1918 and final profession on March 31, 1921. She celebrated her Silver Jubilee on May 4,1943; Golden on June 15, 1968 and Diamond on May 7, 1978.
Although Sr. Mildred taught for several years, most of her service in schools was as librarian. Her many years in education were at the following schools:
- Holy Cross High School 1918-21; Librarian (1928-53); (1959-61)
- Blessed Sacrament and St. Henryas a substitute teacher 1921-22
- St. James High, Brooksville 1922-28
- St. Henry High SchoolLibrarian 1953-59; 1961-67
- St. Henry High (1967-77)
- Villa Madonna Academy Tutored Latin and German (1979-83)
In her later years Sr. Mildred resided in the infirmary. Death came suddenly on April 26, 1983.